Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Turning Point

So much has happened...

A week ago Friday, I made the decision to leave the wonderful comfort I'd found in Yarmouth and to continue on with my journey. The friendships I'd forged and the lives I'd touched, and have touched me, would remain behind, at least for now, while I continued to search for whatever it is that set me on this path in the first place. That voice that's urged me along from the beginning, still remained and I decided it was time to listen again.

I can not begin to express my gratitude to everyone who welcomed me into their hearts and their lives while I searched for meaning in my own. I will always be especially grateful to Carla. She was the first in Yarmouth to embrace me and to accept me for who I am. In her care and her presence, I felt truly special. Yarmouth, and especially the house on Cliff Street, will always signify a magical turning point in my life.

In writing my online journal, I've made every attempt to be as forthcoming as possible, often sharing many intimate details of my thoughts and emotions as I've experienced life on the road. As my most critical reader, I expect nothing less, and as the author, I feel an obligation to continue sharing openly and accurately as I have from the beginning, however difficult that may be for some of those looking on. So, here goes...

On Tuesday, I'll be riding the Cat from Yarmouth, Nova Scotia across to Bar Harbor, Maine.

Last night I awoke to the sound of raccoons chattering in the woods not far from the tent. M was sleeping soundly, bundled up in her sleeping bag next to me. Thoughts about what had happened, and what was to come, were flooding my head and I needed to get it down on paper, or at least try. My decision to leave Nova Scotia and to draw my Canada experience to a conclusion, was fueled largely by my experiences with her. We met only eight days ago, but have formed a very tight bond and friendship. She'd already planned to take the Cat and tour New England and, in addition to wanting to continue on with her, the offer to ride along was too tempting to pass up. We're now travelling back to Yarmouth from Liverpool, she's hitchhiking as she's done since arriving in Newfoundland and Nova Scotia, and I'm cycling as usual. We're meeting at Carter's Beach as soon as I get away from this computer and back on the road. She got a ride in Liverpool about thirty seconds after we said goodbye.

Act Three is hopefully setting up a wonderful conclusion to this saga.

Only time will tell...

Cheers

~B

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that this is true... =)

Bob you're a secret to me...

cheers and roll on

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.