Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Once Upon a Rainstorm

A lot has happened in the last week that I could write about. I could mention helping out at the market, or the weekend at Brenda's where a soon-to-be-delivered baby was doing somersaults, or about getting to know someone special and sharing life experiences. I could tell you about the movie Once we watched Sunday night and how it always leaves a distinct hue on my world for days after, or of the wonderful Birchermuesli Sabrina made for lunch. I could even tell you about the comment I deleted from the blog last week suggesting I "stop clinging to other people and get a life of my own", but I won't. Instead I'll just talk about the weather. It's been raining steadily since around noon today. It started during the drive back from Pubnico and has been gaining momentum, along with the occasional boom of thunder, ever since. Today's the first day of significant rain for as long as I can remember, maybe even since the downpours up in Amherst.

I usually love rainy days. My rule is that in order for it to be a good day, there has to be something coming out of the sky, sunshine or rain, even fog qualifies. Overcast gray days need not apply. Rainy days are ideal for curling up on the couch and napping, or spending the day in bed with your sweetie. If you're fortunate enough to have an indoor fireplace, rainy days are ideal for building a good fire and chasing away the damp chill that often accompanies the rainfall. When it rains, I mean really rains, everything green seems to breathe a collective sigh of relief. The trees, the grass, the vegetables and flowers in the garden, all replenish in the rain, they relax away their stiff dry shells that have accumulated during hot dry days. They all take a deep breath and exhale the wonderful smell of fresh that we all enjoy after a good shower. Rain is cleansing, it washes away the accumulated grime on streets and houses and leaves everything glossy. The colors intensify along with the smells, and feel of the air. When it rains briefly however, we're left with a microscopic film of mud. Instead of a clean sheet we get grime. A good rain resets the game, gives us a fresh start, makes all things a little more possible. It refills our water barrels, and we in turn water our plants and fill our drinking glasses to water ourselves. When that other thing that comes out of the sky finally shines, the water from our gardens and from our pours and our breath evaporates and returns to the clouds, and the cycle begins again. The cycle of renewal, of cleansing, of fresh starts.

For now, I wish to just sit and watch, as the rain resets the game, for I want to play some more.

~B

No comments: