Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Sirens of Argyle

Not a bad way to spend a rainy Sunday evening, eh? The party at Brenda's country house in Argyle was fantastic. Before dinner we took a nice walk, in a light drizzle, down to the bay. The view was spectacular! On the way back to the house the rain finally decided to fall, and ended up coming down in buckets. On the menu was a wonderful traditional Acadian rappie pie, a delicious shrimp and scallop scampi, fresh green beans, my own sesame peanut noodles, and an amazing peach cobbler for desert. What a meal! There was a new addition to the cast of Southwest Nova Scotia characters for me. Gina is a genuine Acadian from Pubnico, where the Lobster Crate Run were held, and speaks with the most delightful accent. She got a big kick out of the fact that my name translates as "Bob, come over here", I never thought of it like that before. It's my new nickname. Joe was with us for the first hour but had to get back to Shelburne, so I was stuck having to entertain the girls on my own. It was me and five ladies, count em, five! I managed OK.

I just completed day two helping out at the market. Yesterday they started me off with stocking fruits and vegetables and cleaning up, today I was organizing the receipts, ringing up sales, and doing spreadsheets. I'm a quick study. I've got my hands full though. The lady I'm helping out is very sweet and really needs someone to get her stuff organized. I'm glad to be of assistance.

Two more couch surfers coming in tonight. Sabrina from Switzerland is still here, hopefully for several more days. She's great! I asked Carla if we could keep her, we'll see. Anyway, the new surfers are from Massachusetts, where I grew up. I'm curious to see where from exactly. They won't be here for a couple of hours. Carla made an amazing chili for dinner, we got a preview before she left to tutor a woman from, I think, India. She's helping her with her English so she can pass her nursing exam. What a sweetheart.

OK, I guess that's it for now. Click here for the complete photo album.

Cheers!

~B

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey bob,

i think sabrina is the girl who left just before i arrived here in st. johns at city hostel.
she seems to be a true explorer and a amazing gal.

you had a nice evening buddy, greetings to everyone who knows me. =)

Anonymous said...

The betting around town is that you aren;t ever leaving Bob.....and it is becoming apparent why. Great pic!!!!