Sunday, August 3, 2008

Routine Rhymes with Poutine!

Good News! I've cleared one of my hurdles with regard to developing a routine, or "agenda" as was suggested. I won't go into detail, suffice to say I'll be "helping out" at a local market, and in appreciation for my "assistance" I might get a few "bananas". It'll be nice to have a few "bananas" in my pocket (get my drift? -I think "get my drift" is a nautical term). I'm still interested in finding a good volunteer gig working with youth. That's one of the things that I greatly miss about being in Brattleboro and working with In-Sight (if you look at their website, I taught the Intro to Black and White class).

I should ask for your indulgence for Friday's post in which I asked for your thoughts on a recommended course of action. A good friend pointed out that it was bad form, in that I should be listening only to my own heart and doing what I felt I had to do. She's right. So often I feel like the edges of my identity are defined by what I think others might perceive, "am I doing the right thing at his very moment?", "is anyone disappointed in me?", "did I write that last post as well as I could have?" "does this shirt make me look fat?". When I rolled into Amherst, I had a strong sense of accomplishment. The difficulties that I faced there may have strengthened me in some ways, but mostly it left me with an overall sense of ambiguity. The ride down to Yarmouth was extremenly difficult at first. I felt very little sense of mission, like I had on my quest to reach Nova Scotia. At some point, I regained a feeling of purpose and, with a decent head of steam, rode into Southwest Nova and to the bridge where I met Matt. Being here in Yarmouth has been both a blessing and a burden. The people I've met will, in some way, forever change the way in which I navigate my life. Where this journey will lead is hard to say. I know there are some who'd like to see me back on the road, writing about new places and sharing new pictures, other's that tell me to just sit and be still, "you'll figure it out in good time". It's wrong for me to ride out of this place without a clear understanding of how this puzzle piece fits. Until it clicks into place, I shall make the most of life HERE. How's that for sticking to my own guns?

OK, time for a little housekeeping. If you wish to post a nasty or confrontational comment, please include a little more information. I don't need to know your name, but it would be nice to maybe get some idea about you as a person, what similar experiences you've had and how you've dealt with life in difficult times, maybe your occupation, kids, etc. I'm putting in a lot of effort to convey my thoughts and explain my struggles. It would be nice if you'd give me a little more to work with? I do have a little "trash can" icon after each of your comments. I've only used it twice for nonsensical messages, but I do have the power...bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!

As Always...Cheers!

~B

BTW, if you want to learn everything you'll ever want to know about poutine, this video is a hoot. Actually poutine is really a Quebec phenomena, but I couldn't pass up the pun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just go with your heart Bob. And remember...you are exactly where you are supposed to be at this VERY moment. :)

Anonymous said...

Bob,

I'm beginning to think that the cornflake was bad luck.... Seems your fortunes changed as soon as the damned thing was jacked...

Just an observation...

Steve from the Amherst Library.