Saturday, July 12, 2008

Slow, But Steady...

I'm in the Windsor Nova Scotia Public Library and it's another gorgeous day outside. My bike is safely secured to the pillar at the front door of the library, I just checked. I'm a little sleepy today since last nights choice of sleeping accommodations were a bit problematic. I actually camped in the woods just beyond the football field of the Kings-Edgehill School. It's the Nova Scotia equivalent of Deerfield Academy back in the Massachusetts. Last night was a reunion and they ended up shooting off fireworks right over my tent! The reunion revellers were going well into the night and since I'm not used to hearing voices, human anyway, where I've been sleeping, I didn't sleep very soundly. Then at 4:37 the crows started in. I've decided that if I lived in Winsdor, I should like to take up the sport of archery. I'd focus primarily on shooting inexpensive arrows at high black targets. If I did this every morning for just a month and hit maybe two or three "targets" a day, I could significantly improve the general tranquility of this otherwise lovely place. I mean, give the other birds a chance to sing for once! Geez!

I've been doing more thinking about what comes next for me. When I was on the first leg of my journey, my goal was simple -to reach Nova Scotia. When I was in Amherst, I was dealing and reacting and thinking about things that were mostly external to me, like getting my bike back, how I felt about Amherst, whether I should drink rum or beer for evening refreshments with B&B, things like that. Now I'm on this leg of the journey and I'm mostly out of touch with everyone except my own thoughts. I've retired my cell phone to emergency 9-1-1 calls only, and pay phones are few and far between. My goal after Amherst has always been to see Nova Scotia. I've been planning on going right around. I went through the River and the Joggins, to Advocate and Parrsboro, through Truro and on to Brooklyn, and now into Windsor. My plan now is to head down "the Valley" as they say, the Annapolis Valley to Yarmouth. Man, that's a lot of time to think.


I saw a picture of that American President on page five of the paper today. It's really nice to be completely sheltered from the antics of the American political players. I don't have a TV on my bike so the only news I get is from the CBC, the Canadian Broadcasting Company, the Canadian equivalent of NPR, only on the CBC when they are playing a song as part of a story, THEY PLAY THE WHOLE SONG. What a novel idea! I did hear about the Fanny and Freddy calamity, that's not good. You Americans should do something about that. Anyway, yeah Bush on page 5. Is it possible to be a conscientious objector without a draft? It's a wonder everybody in the states doesn't move to Canada just to get away from a system that would allow that to be what ends up on page 5! Can I get a Hallelujah? Really, I'm not ready to chuck it all, but it is amazing how a little distance can provide a whole lot of perspective.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you mention my home in your travels... BROOKLYN!!!! Woot! Hahahaha... And Windsor... Oy. I'm sure the folks at home would be pleased if you did aim at some high black "targets".

While in Windsor, check out the Birthplace of Hockey museum... If you like the sport of course.

rdt

Anonymous said...

Keep politics out of your blog. It muddies up otherwise interesting and valuable reading.
Lecram

Anonymous said...

Trebor~
Stay focused on what you set out to do... that was to discover more about you... You've been through more than you bargained for and that says much about you. Keep up the great work... remember... we're all behind you in this endeavor and wish you the best!
Lecram of CA
p.s. Especially the Trappists!

Anonymous said...

lecraM says it well, treboR. We are much more interested in your observations about the beauty of the trip and your inner discoveries than about politics.
We are all behind you and wish you a peaceful finish to your adventure full of wonderful goodness! And, we can't wait until we can se you again, especially your three, darling J nieces!

JM

BTW, we journeyed through Rocky Mountain National Park (elev. 12,200 or so) by motor car last Thursday. You would have loved it by bicycle! Saw many herd of elk, deer and a solitary moose! We fly home on Tuesday, 7/15.

Anonymous said...

As far as I'm concerned you may write about whatever you wish...it's your journey of discovery and I think you're writing for yourself as well as others!

Anonymous said...

To Anonymous, Comment #5:
You are definitely NOT a Viens or a derivative thereof. Congratulations!!! The Trappists have just accepted your application too!
lecraM of CA

Anonymous said...

lecram...nope not a Viens, but I've seen Bob more recently than you so I get an opinion! I'm one of those annoying "live and let live" people. But seriously...he's doing some heavy thinking..

Anonymous said...

Bob,
Quick question from a fan.........when not riding.........briefs or boxers?
A Friend

Anonymous said...

hi bob hope u get ur cornflake back... c u soon. Love Emma

Anonymous said...

bob this week has been "wild and crazy" here in the lot/my life. i will email you all soon. BUT, the cornflake situation is taken care of, just come back to Bratt and you will see. love deanna. ps i actually have flowers and tomatoes and i think they did brattfest on the steps this weekend. very calm and quiet.

Anonymous said...

Trebor... where are you? An adoring public yearns for news.
Lecram of CA

~Bob Viens said...

Please excuse my occasional political ramblings. I'm giving you what I feel at each posting. OK, nough with the Trappists, I'm not feeling monk-ey anyway. Um...briefs when I'm not going commando, if you must know. Cheers! ~B