Saturday, July 5, 2008

Bittersweet Morning

This is my bedroom this morning. See, I even made the bed.

I was up before "the girls" today. It's the first time since I arrived here eight days ago that I was up to greet the morning before they were downstairs making the coffee, setting a warm place for me at the kitchen table, and awaiting my appearance, usually around 10am. This morning when I awoke, I immediately found my thoughts racing around all the details I needed to face in preparation for my mid-day departure. I'm very melancholy this morning. I've grown to love this place and it will be hard for me to head out of the dooryard. Bette and Beverly and Amherst are now woven into me. I'll leave this place today hoping that I might return and knowing that I've discovered some significant pieces of the puzzle that so I yearn to complete. I'll be taking time to write more about this over the next couple of days, but for now, the task at hand awaits. It also occurs to me that I'm sad that my family is together, minus my kids who are at opposite ends of the globe, Nic in San Diego, Chris in Spain, as well as me in Nova Scotia, and Donna (my ex and the kids Mom) in Stering Massachusetts. How did that happen? It's like a family explosion! It's all good, but...peculiar. Anyway, I hope the rest of my family is having a great time at my Janine and Ed's in Springfield Vermont. I should give you all her address, so you can crash the party...."Free Food and Alcohol! Bring your swim trunks!". But, no, that would be wrong. Sorry I couldn't be there to make my famous Breakfast Burritos, but I know Janine and Amy can both make a mean plate of toast, so it's not all bad. Kidding - Ha!

I'll be heading down through the Joggins today to Advocate (pronounced Advo-CATE up here), then on to Five Islands. I have a seafood platter waiting for me there!

From Bette and Beverly's, this is Bicycle Bob signing off.

Have a great weekend!

Cheers!

~B

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Trebor... May the Saint of Bicyling watch over you. "Amherst - We have a successful launch!" Did the medals arrive? Be well and keep up the great spirit of adventure and appreciation. I've let the Trappists know you'll be signing up soon. Hugs - Lecram of CA

Anonymous said...

Hey Bob i saw you got off to a good start .What did you think of my little village of River Hebert ? Beautiful isn't it?Well have a great trip through my neck of the woods and remember what i told you Look out for that bear ;) hope to see you soon April

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are getting back on the road Bob! Everything happens for a reason and after reading your blogs it sounds like you were meant to "end up" in Amherst for a little while.
xoxo
JoJo

Anonymous said...

Keep looking forward - take the memories with you and head off to new horizons - there is so much more waiting for you on this journey...and I'd love to say I told you so! - that charming personality (the real Bob) can get you a great meal, a warm bed and loads of fun times anywhere you go~

Be safe...GPS
PS - Happy 4th!

Anonymous said...

Hi Bob:

I noticed you are looking to earn a little spending money on your journey.

If your travels cause you to return to Cumberland County in mid august I'm sure you could "rake blueberries". The "Blueberry Captial of Canada is in nearby Oxford and as I recall farmers pick up "rakers" at various spots around Amherst every morning and take them to the fields. When I was a kid (30 years ago) we used to earn $40 or $50 on a good day!

Anonymous said...

Marcel, The Saint Christopher medal arrived a couple of days after I left Amherst. My friend Bette is picking it up today and will get it to me somehow. Thanks for sending it. I'll look forward to the additional divine assistance. Cheers! ~B

~Bob Viens said...

Hi April, I did see a bear!!!! It was a cute black one and seemed less that interested in the silly bike riding by. I hope that's my last one. ~B