Tuesday, July 1, 2008

OH, CA-NA-DA....

Happy Canada Day! The festivities for the July 1st holiday held on the central square on Victoria Street were quite enjoyable. There was a great turnout to hear the Town Crier and the many local dignitaries open the Town's celebration of Canada Day and to enjoy the music, games, food, and fun that accompany it every year. We, in the States, could take an example from Amherst for the show of national and community pride that was seen here today. There were so many Maple Leaf t-shirts, flags, and buttons, that I felt out of place without some display of my Canadian heritage (I'm told that a significant slice of my family does originally hail from just outside of Montreal). My friend Geri brought me a nice red and white Canada Day wrist band, which I then wore with pride. I walked downtown with Bette and Beverly after a nice breakfast of coffee, eggs, toast, yogurt with raspberries, and two slices of ham (AKA Canadian Bacon). They're both way too good to me!

As usual, I met some really nice folks today while we were downtown. One notable conversation was with John and Mary who directed me to another must see spot on the next leg of the journey. I'll be sure to include Saint Mary's Bay and the World's Tallest Wooden Church. I can't tell you how nice it is to have to opportunity to speak with all of the locals and hear their suggestions for what's important to see in Nova Scotia.

I drove up to Sackville with Bette yesterday, in Beverly's Honda, to check out an outdoor store that someone had recommended. I was looking for a place at which I could replace my camping and cooking gear (I'm trying to get it locally instead of online). We crossed the marshes and headed straight for Wanderlust. What a great store! I had some specific gear in mind and was really just looking for a place where I could satisfy the "grocery list" that I had assembled. Well, I was delighted with the service and selection there. In the end I think I ended up with better gear than I expected. Like anyone, I'm somewhat a creature of habbit. I was looking for exactly what I had on the first leg of my journey. It occurred to me however that I needed to get past my "idea" of what the next phase of the journey should look like and try something new. I still need to be as well prepared, but I don't need to duplicate what I've already done. I can set out fresh, and by God I shall! What a treat to find such a great store in little old Sackville. Actually, it's supposed to be the "Cultural Capital of Canada" according to the sign anyway. It is a really cute town. I'll be heading there later this week to grab a camp stove and the footprint for the new tent that Esther emailed me about today. Thanks Esther! I'll finally be light and dry!

Bike Update: The eBay auction ended with a winning bid of $310 Canadian. Brian, the winner, is getting a really good bike for a GREAT price. After the auction Kelvin emailed me to say he was also sending a donation. If you'd like to do the same, the address is:

Cumberland YMCA
P.O. Box 552
Amherst, NS
B4H 4A1

I just checked the UPS tracking on my 60 pound package from Brattleboro, and it's on time for delivery Thursday! It arrived in Quebec yesterday, but probably didn't go anywhere with the holiday today. I ran into Basil downtown today. He's graciously offered to get the bike ready for the Journey-Part 2. I should be rolling again this weekend. Cheers! ~B

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks COLD up there. People are wearing hats and sweaters in the picture.

Anonymous said...

Yes, its cold early summer morn but the day got HOT. awesome , beauty Canada day. So, Bob, hope to see you in Parrsboro for 'old fashioned saturday night'(this sat. the 5th) great music and festivities but I read you are eager to get to 5 Islands. Remember to stop and smell all the roses!!

SPECIAL ED said...

BOB, I WAS WONDERINR IF YOU'D BE PEDELING DOWN TO THE JULY 4TH FAMILY CAMP OUT. IT WON'T BE THE SAME WITHOUT THE BREAKFAST BURITOS AND HERBURT HOOVERS. I'M SURE THE KIDS WILL MISS YOUR WAGON RIDES. ENJOY YOUR JOURNEY AND KEEP UP THE BLOG.