Friday, June 13, 2008

Welcome to Nova Scotia!



I MADE IT! The weather today is fantastic and is expected to be for the next few days. The winds off the marshes however is nothing short of insane. In the middle of the night, early yesterday morning, before heading out from Salisbury NB to Amherst Nova Scotia the wind started to blow. I jumped out of my tent to get the rain flap on thinking we were about to have a torrential downpour, but it never rained. After getting the tent secured, I ended up standing in my adopted apple orchard watching the sky in amazement at the intensity of the sky. It gave me the feeling that I wasn't in Kansas anymore. This is definitely a different kind of place. The ride into Nova Scotia was difficult in that my left calf had started telling me "enough already" the day before and was continuing to remind me through mid-day. Fortunately, the winds that had started in the middle of the night were now blowing directly at my back for a good portion of the ride. I was inclined to take it as a sign that I was being "helped" into Nova Scotia, but then I realized that I'm probably not sooo important that the winds would blow on everyone else solely for my benefit. I think nature just happens and we all make the most of it. Anyway, whatever the cause, I was grateful. As soon as I passed through Sackville NB it was even mostly down hill and my calf had stopped it's complaining. I flew into Nova Scotia. When I got to the sign above it I took a bee-line across the lawn directly to it and snapped this photo. Total miles: 950, total time: 22 days (with 2 days off in Bar Harbor).

What's next? I'll be heading out of Amherst probably today and am thinking about heading South (counter-clockwise) from here. I'll be following the coast for the most part with side trips as suggested by the locals. That's all I know for now. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. OK, I'm off! Cheers! ~B

4 comments:

Mark Rountree said...

Bob - Clark told me you were riding through Nova Scotia on your bike - but I thought it was motorized!!! Looks like it was a great ride. I wish you had called me when you left Automall - I did not try to recruit you from their because we have an agreement with their organization - they don't recruit from us and we don't recruit from them. Paul and I would like to talk to you about our BDC/Internet - please call me and let me know if you are interested or not because we need to get someone in place quick. Talk to you soon - 800-639-1674 or 802-258-2400 ext 111 or 102.

Mark Rountree

Anonymous said...

Bob, If you get near Porter's Lake, would you take a look at my family graveyard and let me know how bad it is? It's the Innes family graveyard, we've been trying (from afar) to figure out what to do about it. It'a across the street from a famous old church, and everyone there knows of it.

Glad you made it happy and safe. Are you coming back or staying there? If you're staying let me know.
Laura

~Bob Viens said...

Laura? Porter's Lake? I'll be happy to give it a shot. Please tell me who you are. I'm not sure. Sorry, ~B

Anonymous said...

Good God... I don't look at this for a week or so and I find you on the cover of all the local newspapers. Can't wait for the book... the mini series... Glad to see the world shines back at you when the sh%t hits the fan.

Have fun... and hope you stay out of the media for awhile ...unless something even better happens to you.