Thursday, June 26, 2008

Getting Itchy...

Well, tonight makes two weeks since I first rolled into beautiful downtown Amherst. It's been interesting and everyone's been great, but I'm getting itchy to get back on the road. By the time the bike auction completes and my replacement bike gets here, it will be three weeks. That's how long it took me to get here in the first place. The bright side is that I'll be well rested for the next leg of the trip.
div>I'm heading over to see Bette at the Tantramar Theatre to see if I can put in some volunteer work, since having all this time on my hands without any structure is madening. I'm open to other volunteer gigs while I'm here, paid one's are OK too, but I'm mainly interested in staying busy. I'm attaching my resume; except for the job and the apartment, it's current. If I was using a Mac, this image would be a nicely cropped copy of my resume and
not the silly screenshot that you see here. I just updated the resume with one the one I got from Steve at the library - that's awesome!)Either way, you get the idea. I've been camping at a new "undisclosed location" that is way better than the other site's I'd been at previously. It feels more like a groomed campground than just a hunk of woods that's off the beaten path. I'll stay there until I scout out another spot, maybe closer to the downtown. I filled an entire trash bag with rubbish that was on the ground there, that's the deal I have with the places I camp - I take all my trash with me as well as whatever I find lying around (within reason, there are things sometimes that I can't fit into a trash bag). I guess that's all part of the rationalization I employ for camping for free, that and the fact that before all this civilization happened, that's how travellers did it. I don't believe Lewis and Clark, Lord Jeffery Amherst and his cohorts, or the early Acadians stayed at cozy campgrounds or roadside motels. We've come a long way since those times, but the woods are still the same. Camping, if you haven't done much of it, is great for imposing a certain simplicity on your daily routine. The things to which we've all become accustom wind up getting placed into one of a few categories like "essential", or "worth having, but really heavy", or "not necessary, but really light". Everything comes down to size and weight. If you had to carry all of your possessions every day in order to continue using them, how many of us would be buying plasma TV's? Think about that one next time you're at circuit city, "I'll take the video iPod please". Then again the other real consideration that comes into play is where to charge all of the essential electronic devices. I've got a cell phone (which I'm trying not to use), and a digital camera - that's it. The positive side of camping is experienced when you get to lie in your tent with all your "stuff" around you, everything you need to survive, and the world takes on a sense of simplicity. Get rid of the cell phone and the need to go online to email, blog, and bank and you'll be good to go. I've enjoyed doing the blog and all this electronic communication, but it does tend to impose a certain connectedness that is blissfully avoided when you're speeding down some new and undiscovered road on your way to wherever. Waking up in the morning and hearing the birds (which start singing up here at 3:30am) and watching the sunlight bounce off your tent as the leaves flicker back and forth in the morning breeze is like being in some grand cathedral. There is no more peaceful a place to be. That feeling of reverence will always stay with me long after this ride is over. ~B

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bob, when my Mother passed away, I had a goal of 3 suitcases, my 13 inch TV and Toyota all track. that was my goal and to travel. you have seen my mini thrift store apt, and it just has not worked for me to cut back. YET! I miss you much and oh the gossip or news! I will email you sunday with all of that. love deanna