Saturday, June 14, 2008

A Bit of a Setback...

Scene of the crime...
Yesterday, I got to the library when it opened at 10am, secured my bike to the tree on the lawn of City Hall (picture here), and while I was getting updated on my blog and email and banking and reading the local papers and planning my route, someone made off with my bike and most of my stuff. I am however fortunate that Amherst Nova Scotia was the place for my misfortune. Since reporting the crime, I have been showered with assistance from many concerned townspeople. The nice woman at the police station set it all into motion, I'll get her name today. Police Officer Mark and City Councelor George were the first on the scene. Mark drove me around in an effort to locate the bike, George and Kerry and Skippy made arrangenments for hotel accomodations, a clothes and personal items shopping spree at Walmart, gift certificates at Tim Hortons (the Canadian version of Dunkin Donuts - only better!), a great meal last night at Teasers, and what knows what. I couldn't have picked a better place to get stranded.

Here's what was stolen...

BIKE:
- Raleigh Mojave 8.0 Mountain Bike
- WTB SLICKasaurus 26x1.5 tires
- Axion Champlain Journey Series Paniers with Axiom Rack
- Topeak QR Beam Rack MTX with MTX Trunk Bag
- Topeak TourGuide Handlebar Bag Mounting Bracket
- Novara Bar Top Handlebar Bag
- HydraPak Big Sur Hydration Backpack
- Cateye Velo 8 Cyclometer
- Topeak Redlight Series Blinking Tail Light
- Shimano Clipless Pedals
- Specialized A1 Dirt Rodz Bar Ends - centrally mounted
- Mirrycle MTB Bar End Mirror
- Alcatraz Cable Bicycle Lock
- O2 RainWear Jacket
- Red Legde Rain Pants
- Auto Mall Custom License Plate Front Fender
- Bell Solar Helmet
- Specialized Gel Bike Gloves
- Specialized Cold Weather Bike Gloves
- Full Cold Weather face Mask and Hood
- Topeak Mini MasterBlaster Tire Pump
- Cassette Removal Tool, Chainwhip, and Adjustable Wrench
- Bianchi Bib Bike Shorts
- Chamois Butter

CAMP:
- The North Face Talus 2-Person Tent
- EMS Down Sleeping Bag - 20 degree rating
- ThermaRest Trail Inflatable Mattress
- Byer Amazonas Parachute Traveller Hammock
- Jetboil PCS Stove with additional fuel canisters
- PUR Hiker Water Purifier
- KleanKanteen 40oz Stainless Water Bottle
- Pro Rainer PVC Rain Poncho
- Corona Razor Tooth Saw
- Princeton Tec Solo Headlamp
- Quisinart 2qt. Stainless Bowl for laundry and bathing
- Stainless Camping Utensil Set
- Custom Clothes Line
- Coffee Cup and Single Serve Melita Coffee Maker
- Ace Hardware 2" (Latrine) Shovel

CLOTHES:
- Eastpack Duffle Bag
- Asolo Leather Hiking Boots with Orthotics
- Leather Light Dress Shoes
- Pearl Izumi Running Pants
- Columbia Khaki Pants
- Socks and Underwear
- Leather Belt
- Wash Cloth and Towel
- Two T-Shirts (one long sleeve, one short)
- Sleeping Cap

PERSONAL:
- Synthroid 125MCG Prescription
- Multi Vitamins and Aspirin
- Tooth Brush and Tooth Paste
- Shaving Cream and Razor
- Sunscreen and Bug Repellant
- Electric Hair and Beard Trimmer
- Dr. Bronner's Liquid Soap and Woolite Laundry Soap
- Mom's Deluxe First Aid Kit

MISC:
- Grundig Mini300 AM/FM/SW Radio
- Mace Muzzle Dog Repellant Spray
- One Large Cornflake


Here's what they didn't get...

- Wallet and ID's
- Topeak TourGuide Handlebar Bag
- Sony DCS R-1 10MP Digial Camera and Charger
- Rollei 35SE 35mm Camera with Ilford HP5 Black and White Film
- Specialized Cycling Shoes with Shimano Cleats
- Sugoi Cycling Shorts
- Burrow's Specialized Sports Jersey
- Pearl Izumi Cycling Socks
- Crank Bros M17 Multi Tool
- Gerber Suspension Multi Tool
- Eagle Creek Tent Locks (2)
- US Cellular LG VX4400 Cell Phone with Spare Batteries and Charger
- My optimism and faith in good people

I refuse to be defeated by this. I fully intend to recover or replace what was taken regardless of how long it might take, and be back on my way. I rode here to see Nov Scotia, and see it I shall! I'll keep you posted.

Thanks Amherst!

~B

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yipes! It is a wonder to me how someone could see all that stuff on your bike and NOT THINK - "taking this could mean I left someone homeless and on the streets with nothing" But, no. Random acts are just that - and I am sorry it happened. I send my love. -e

Anonymous said...

Now you will have a big story to tell when you get back. I'm sure things will only get better from here...atleast we hope so.
Good Luck on your journey home.
L :)

Austan said...

Sorry, Bob. At least you're okay and the good local people are helping you. Who knows, maybe you'll even get it back? I'm hoping...

Anonymous said...

Hi Bob! Sharri, Amy's friend here. We've been following your story through Amy and we're so glad you hooked up with some good people. What an adventure! I told Owen and he said, "Wow. I think some bad robbers must have taken Uncle Bobby's stuff. That was mean."
Our best to you!

Rachel & Eric said...

Holy crap, Bob!

I might have expected that to happen south of the border but I guess there are assholes in Canada as well. Keep your chin up.

Eric

Anonymous said...

you sound so upbeat for this horror. but that is you Bob. It will be part of your great adventure. i feel you will get it back. if there is anything Marcy or I can do (donate to the replace Bob's bike fund, or I guess get one started) Of course i still feel you will get it back. do you have a place to stay. i have a friend with a vacation place in nova scotia, but not sure where, i would ask her if you want. doris diamondstone. you may know her from here in bratt. again, anything you need, email me. love d

Anonymous said...

OH BROTHER! I am sending you reiki.

Anonymous said...

What a great attitude, Bob. Who knows what silver linings await? Looking forward to hearing about them. Regards from Bratt

Debra-Dawn said...

I just finished reading your story in my local newspaper...

You really don't seem as angry as some people might get...

I keep thinking... what can i do?

And then it occurs to me, How much longer do you plan to stay?

I have a fully furnished, empty house you can stay in...

let me know on my blog if youd like to stay there...

Namaste,

-Deb

http://arrivingatmyowndoor.blogspot.com/

pedro.i.alcocer.jr said...

Dude sorry you're stuff was stolen. I hope you find your way onto another bike! Keep it up.

Anonymous said...

I read your story in t'days paper and commented. Hope all turns out well for you. If you come through N.B. look me up. I will be following your life's adventures. hah, sounds like a stalker. safe journeys. Jocelyn

Anonymous said...

You keep goin Bob. The summer before last I retired and took my bike from my doorstep in Montpelier across the country to Astoria, Oregon. Met many great people along the way. You'll get over this and have many adventures ahead of you.

By the way, my travel expenses were low. But you get by on $5 a day for food? Incredible. Lowell in Montpelier

Anonymous said...

Hi Bob, I live downtown in Amherst. I saw your story on the Amherst Daily website Tuesday morning. I really felt awful about what happened to you. I stopped in to our police department on my way to work and gave them my name and number. I service the police bike each year. Feel free to call if you need assistance with fine tuning your new bike before you leave or fixing your old one up if it gets recovered. I used to work in a couple of bike shops and did service out of my home. I have a complete bicycle workshop in my basement. There are no bike shops between Truro and Moncton so please be my guest.

Anonymous said...

I am from NB, just read about your story and feel for you.
please let me know if you require and bike parts as i have a small selection of parts I will donate to you, nothing fancy and nothing new but what ever I can come up with you are welcome to have for free. You can email me at killerb09@hotmail.com thanks Jason in Fredericton

Anonymous said...

Bob,I'm in shock. Just turned on my computer to check up on you and learned of the robbery! Even more than that, I'm really amazed at the kindness of the locals and of the readers offering you goods and services. Good luck, keep your wonderful attitude, and just think, this is exactly the kind of substance you need for the book you'll have to write:)

Love, Taryn