Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Cruising through Canada!

I'm in Quispamsis New Brunswick a few kilometers east of Saint John, on Route 100. Once again, I'm at a library that doesn't allow photo uploads - too bad, I have a lot of pictures to share. I made a brief tour through Saint John yesterday afternoon, unfortunately it was later in the day and I had to make my way back out of town so I could find a safe campsite outside of any inner-city complications. I ended up making camp in the median between the east and west bound lanes of Highway Route 1, which I've been stuck on most of the way in Canada. It was a perfect, and relatively peaceful spot, except for the couple of tattletale crows that insisted on heralding my presence as soon as the sun appeared. Thankfully, I brought earplugs.


I had no difficulty getting into Canada, in fact I only needed my drivers license. BTW, bi-lingual keyboards are significantly different that the ones in the states, geez! I've been logging some good mileage days. On Sunday, the day I left Bar Harbor, I did 72 miles, and Monday I cranked through 81. Yesterday, my first day in Canada was 95 kilometers(when in Rome), which is like 58 miles, unfortunately my on saddle-weary behind had reared it's ugly head and I'm needing to back off until I can toughen up again. Today already feels better. I had a coffee and a donut at my first Tim Horton's It was great! I have noticed that the New Brunswickers are hesitant to ask about what I'm up to, unlike the folks all along the Maine border. I think it's a cultural politeness thing. If I manage to break the ice with it, like I did today at the Tim Horton's by saying "this is my first time in a Tim Horton's", then they're very friendly and interested, but I have to initiate the conversation. I wonder if that will be the same in Nova Scotia.

Well, I need to get on the road. It's already 3:10 (I'm on Atlantic time), and I need to get in at least 70 kilometers before I make camp. Route 100 is a nice alternative to the highway. I've also been enjoying Canadian radio. Cheers!

1 comment:

Joleah MacKenzie said...

Hi Bob! I just got you rpost card. Thank you! Sounds like you are well. Keep me posted. Love and miss you!!
jojo
xoxoxo