Thursday, September 4, 2008

A Lovely Bar Harbor Evening

I'm in the dining room at the Bar Harbor Hostel with M, Alex from Germany, and Egle from Lithuania. They've been talking while I put away the dishes from some burritos I made for the two of us. There was enough stuff to make a couple more for tomorrow. We're riding the bus in the morning to Bangor to get the rental car that M reserved and to couch surf with Susan. She sounded delightful when I spoke with her to coordinate tomorrow's arrival. She's picking us up at the bus terminal.

Today's visit to Acadia marked a huge breakthrough in our relationship. The drama that we experienced yesterday all came into focus and perspective. Sometimes when I write, it takes me a few days for the words and thoughts to settle in and to acquire the clarity for me to view them clearly. Today, I saw M clearly.

Yesterday I was wondering if "it was me", and today I figured out that it's actually both of us. That's the way it is in any relationship. Two travelers, moving along separately, completely accustomed to their own individual routines, come together. A small spark ignites a powder keg of passion and the skies light up. I've been lucky enough to have experienced this more than a few times in my life. It's a wonderful consuming feeling. The difficulty occurs when the ash tumbles form the sky and the bright colorful lights overhead slowly fade, and you're left staring at each other having to virtually start over. The light of day reveals so much more than high colored bursts of light ever could. Getting to know each other and actually measure the fit, determines your longevity together. Often times the fit is awkward, sometimes it's OK, rarely it's perfect, but it always requires effort. Today we put in the effort to get a better understanding of each other. It's working. M is truly wonderful. I'm done guessing.

Give us a little privacy, will ya?

~B
Photo: M, Alex, and Egle.

No comments: