Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Price of Admission

Riding down to Massachusetts yesterday afternoon it all seemed to fall into place. I was on one of my overnight test runs, loaded down with everything I'm taking on the trip, and it just seemed to be the best thing I could have been doing on the planet at that moment. The sound of the tires and the gears humming along, the knowledge that I was carrying everything I'd need to make my way out into the world, the beautiful New England scenery moving by, and the lightness and fluidity in my body all gave me the sense that I was onto something great. The fear and hesitation I've been experiencing is simply the price of admission for what is about to come. My test trips are proving invaluable in making me better at what I'll be doing full-time in a few short days. I know I'll continue tweaking on the road, but it'll be great to know that when I roll out of Brattleboro, I'll be ready, at least for the expected, and actually some of the unexpected. My Mom made me a really nice first aid kit that I picked up last night on my way up to Amy's where I was camping. My Mom's experience as a nurse, as well as being the mother of five, made her the perfect person to go to for help. We got a fair amount of rain last night so it was a good opportunity to work out the rainy day issues. The ride back up to Brattleboro wasn't actually rainy, but I was ready for it none the less. The only thing with rain gear is that when it's not actually raining, it's just uncomfortably hot and sticky.

OK, so here's what I'm taking...

BIKE:
- Raleigh Mojave 8.0 Mountain Bike
- WTB SLICKasaurus 26x1.5 tires
- Axion Champlain Journey Series Paniers with Axiom Rack
- Topeak QR Beam Rack MTX with MTX Trunk Bag
- Topeak TourGuide Handlebar Bag
- Novara Bar Top Handlebar Bag
- HydraPak Big Sur Hydration Backpack
- Cateye Velo 8 Cyclometer
- Topeak Redlight Series Blinking Tail Light
- Shimano Clipless Pedals
- Specialized Cycling Shoes with Shimano Cleats
- Specialized A1 Dirt Rodz Bar Ends - centrally mounted
- Mirrycle MTB Bar End Mirror
- Alcatraz Cable Bicycle Lock
- O2 RainWear Jacket
- Red Legde Rain Pants
- Crank Bros M17 Multi Tool
- Auto Mall Custom License Plate Front Fender
- Bell Solar Helmet
- Specialized Gel Bike Gloves
- Topeak Mini MasterBlaster Tire Pump
- Mace Muzzle Dog Repellant Spray

CAMP:
- The North Face Talus 2-Person Tent - Lot's of room for the packs
- EMS Down Sleeping Bag - 20 degree rating
- ThermaRest Trail Inflatable Mattress
- Byer Amazonas Parachute Traveller Hammock
- Jetboil PCS Stove with additional fuel canisters
- PUR Hiker Water Purifier
- KleanKanteen 40oz Stainless Water Bottle
- Gerber Suspension Multi Tool
- Pro Rainer PVC Rain Poncho
- Corona Razor Tooth Saw
- Princeton Tec Solo Headlamp
- Quisinart 2qt. Stainless Bowl for laundry and bathing
- Stainless Camping Utensil Set
- Custom Clothes Line
- Ace Hardware 2" (Latrine) Shovel
- Eagle Creek Tent Locks (2)

PHOTO:
- Sony DCS R-1 10MP Digial Camera
- Rollei 35SE 35mm Camera with Ilford HP5 Black and White Film

PHONE:
- US Cellular LG VX4400 Cell Phone (2) with Six Batteries

MISC:
- Grundig Mini300 AM/FM/SW Radio
- One Huge Cornflake! (more on this later)...

~B

No comments: