Wednesday, May 14, 2008

All Things in Moderation

The bike's ready to go. Just a few more tweaks at the bike shop on the gears and a couple of fresh slime tubes to be installed, oh yeah and a nice bright orange reflective triangle like the Amish have on the back of their wagons. I've been making slow, but steady, progress on cleaning out my apartment. It's been at times painfully hard to accept the fact that I'll be leaving this place. Eleven years is a long time to establish patterns and habits and to grow fond of a place. What I'm working on now is the decision of whether or not to procure a storage unit for the stuff I decide to keep. If I had a crystal ball, I could see myself in the not to distant future standing in a different apartment wishing I still had my bed or my utensils or my something to sit on. As I mention this it occurs to me that the nicest piece of furniture that I own is a handmade bureau whose primary function is to hold the clothes that I'm pretty OK about giving away. I'm just thinking about what happens when I decide to set up a home again. I've never just gone off like this so I have no way of knowing what it might be like to actually stay away for a while. I can feel myself desperately holding onto what is safe and familiar. Yesterday I started segregating my stuff, one pile for definitely getting rid of, and one that I "might" keep. I have a feeling that once I have the actual contents of my hypothetical 5x10 storage unit all laid out, I'll have a better shot at making the decision. It's the fear of the unknown in combination with my easy distractibility that's slowing my progress. Like the ride to Nova Scotia, it's one step (or mile) at a time. OK, that's enough whining. I'm heading downstairs for coffee with my neighbor Deanna. Photo's and bike and camping inventory and maybe some words on cornfake to follow...

No comments: