Tuesday, May 27, 2008

On the Road...

Where do I begin? OK, I'm sitting in the Public Library in Biddeford Maine. This is my sixth day on the road and I finally managed to find a library to get caught up on everything "internet". The trip up to now has been amazing. I actually haven't been much in the mood to write or read or photograph or anything except ride and manage the day to day requirements of life on the road. When I first set out last Thursday it was with, I thought, too much stuff and too little planning. I managed to pear down a lot of the extras before actually leaving town and soon discovered that the planning part could not have been any more detailed than I had done. I have everything that I seem to need with me, a few luxuries, but mostly I feel like I got that part of it right. As you can see from Tego's video, I've got quite a load, in fact I ended up having to replace my rear wheel yesterday after popping 9 of the spokes from the weight. I'm good to go wheel-wise now and I've managed to streamline and adjust my load nicely.

The first night I made camp just outside of Keene. It took me longer that expected to make my way out of town and to say goodbye for now to my friends in Keene. I found a great spot on top of a granite wall on Route 9 to settle for the night. After hauling my bike up the hill to the top and pulling my tent out to set up, it started to pour...go figure. Otherwise it ended up being a good night.I had a hard time getting up in the morning, but was ready for the days ride and felt really good about what I was doing. The second night I stayed in a well placed campground in Hopkinton NH where I greatly enjoyed a hot shower and got some laundry done in addition to having a nice campfire before turning in.My plan has always been to stick to the more rural routes and Old Concord Road which follows Rt 9 from Keene to Concord is just beautiful. I was so impressed with the stretch from Hillsboro thru Henniker to Hopkinton along the Contoocook River is remarkable. Quinticential New England. On day three I made it to Concord to the NH State Capital which was nice enough, I really like being outside of cities if I can help it, but the Capital was nice. Night three was one of my favorites. I camped at the edge of a beautiful beaver pond in a state park in Northwood NH. I brough my little Grundig AM/FM radio with me and my iPod ear buds so while the Red Sox were fading in and out of reception, I came across a perfectly clear station playing Modern English - I Melt With You. I LOVE that song! That started the dance party in my tent.

I'm out of time. More later. It gets better!!!!

3 comments:

David Petrie said...

Bob:

I didn't gety to know you that well while you were in town, but my daughter Noa just finished your last class at Insight, and you really encouraged her to work hard, and you rewarded her for that work.

In my book, that makes you a good egg, and someone who I hope returns to Brattleboro some day. We need folks like you.

I'm a writer and my grandparents hail from Cape Breton Island, so when I heard of your journey I figured I'd check in. As a writer I also hope to encourage you to keep at this blog as much as possible, and feel free to ask readers for simple comments to keep you writing.

Just two words, like "Nice work" (as my daughter knows), means a lot.

So, good luck, and keep at the blog.

Anonymous said...

Bob-- Thanks for catching us up on your progress, even though I know how things that used to be important daily aren't that important when you are on the road, out of your routine. LOVE having the pictures, and the mental image of you cozy in your tent with ear buds listening to the game.

Austan said...

OK, I'm green with envy now.

Blog, Bob, Blog!
Laura