Sunday, March 1, 2009

What's It Good For - Part II

For ten months now, I’ve allowed the world to peer over my shoulder. Like a kid in a classroom, wanting to be friends with the pretty girl in the adjacent desk (and allowing her to copy off his paper), I’ve shared my life, my thoughts, my struggles, my faults, and my victories. I’ve shared things that I’d hoped you’d find inspirational, and thoughts that I knew were sure to cause discomfort. I’ve shared a lot, not all, but a lot. Sometimes my sharing has strayed over into something akin to a selfishness and narcissism. I’ve allowed it to be acceptable for me to, at times, violate the privacy of others, just so I could get my jollies out of exploiting some good material. I now recognize it for what it is, wrong. In the process of flexing my still weak literary muscles, I’ve done damage. Marietta has suffered greatly as a result of several embarrassing passages that I just needed to write. I’m now sorry and kicking myself for having been so self-absorbed, and inconsiderate.

All in all, however, I like the blog. Some day I’ll print it out and bind it in some nice leather covers and just have it up on the shelf. There’s so much content that I simply haven’t read since the day I wrote it; it’ll be fun to revisit it one day. For now, I feel like closing this chapter, along with the blog. It’s time; the story has run its course. The one post that I had hoped to close my adventure with may never come. It was the one announcing a wedding, and maybe another one announcing the birth of a first child. In obeying the call from the blog to “feed me”, I missed the part about personal stuff being just that, personal. I truly hope to one day be able to proudly and joyously announce “We’re Married!” and “It’s a Girl!” but at this moment the future remains uncertain, much like it was when I began.

In one week the blog will be going off line for good. What began largely as a personal journal has grown to something larger than I now care to maintain. I have a life to conduct, without the constant call of “feed me”, and without having to share the content of my school paper, so to speak. It’s time to focus my energies on other, more real endeavors. It’s just time.

I’d like to thank everyone who has participated in posting comments and sending emails, and I’m looking forward to replying to any emails that come in to me in the future, it’s good to keep in touch with friends and family alike. My email is bobviens@gmail.com.

OK, so that’s it. This will be my final post before pulling the plug on Saturday night at midnight, Eastern time. It's been fun, mostly. No tears, just gladness for all the good that surely lay ahead.

Best of luck to you all, and as always…

Cheers!

~B

4 comments:

Unknown said...

And best of luck to you as well! I've followed your cornflake adventure from the start, enjoying and agonizing over the events you have been through.

Anonymous said...

And at he end of your exploration will be to arrive where you started and know it for the first time......as t.s. eliot said.

Anonymous said...

Best of Luck, Bob
Be well, be happy, and be responsible - but most of all - Take care of yourself for me...

Anonymous said...

I like what M. said previously,and I second it...........be happy, and be responsible......the rest takes care of itself. We do love you...................