Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Kindness of Others...

Sorry I didn't get to my email and the blog 'til now. I got a job! Actually, I ran into the owner of one of the big department stores in Amherst. He helped out with the bike fund and in appreciation I'm spending a couple of days as a bike assembly technician! Today was exhausting, but at the end of the day the bike department looked fantastic. I couldn't help thinking of my nieces while was assembling the little pink bikes with the streamers.

Anyway, in the end I've come to realize through all of this that, to quote an old philosopher, the Lord helps those who help themselves. I put in the call to Woody at the bike shop and he's building me a new bike - duplicate to the one that's served me so well over the last year and all through this adventure. I can't shake the feeling that I just want my bike back, and since that doesn't seem to be happening, I'm doing the next best thing. I'm even going to have someone at Auto Mall send me an Auto Mall license plate so I can replace my custom Auto Mall mud flap. I was quite attached to it. Since being in the newspapers and on the radio and on TV, I've been flooded with emails and phone calls offering used bikes, vacation homes, and even a date or two (kinda scary). In response to this, I've arranged with the bike shop to start a "Get Bob Back On Two Wheels" fund. I'm using my work money, and any other I might get from work the rest of the week to get me started on replacing everything that I lost and to get me on my way. I had everything down to a science, the riding, the sleeping, the eating, and I miss it all very much. I just want my "life" back and to get on the road. I rode here to see Nova Scotia and the Canadian Maritimes and I plan on doing it.

If you'd like to help, please send whatever you can to:

Get Bob Back On Two Wheels
c/o Burrow's Specialized Sports
105 Main Street
Brattleboro, VT USA 05301


Please make checks payable to: Burrow's Specialized Sports

I'll be having Burrow's send me a list of names and addresses and will be expanding my postcard mailing list drastically for my future travels. Now I just need to ask Woody if they make an alarm for a bike. Beep Beep....

Thanks for all your love and support,

~B

12 comments:

Austan said...

Well, this really has turned into an adventure for you! Look at all the great people you're getting to know because of one miserable thief.

I knew you'd land on your wheels :) Hang in there!

PS: you can email me thru my name tag on top...

Anonymous said...

Well There Bobby! Seems your Nova Scotia adventure that turned sour, then got really, really exciting! The Johnson 5 hope that you remember your roots when you get rich and famous! ;-) We're sure that you will be able to get back to your tour very soon.

I had an idea today as I was at my Rotary meeting - why don't you seek out some local Rotary clubs up there in NS and share your story with them. I'm sure they would love to hear about your mis-fortune and they may even be able to pass the hat for you, or at least treat you to a good meal. Rotarians like visitors and love to hear fascinating stories. I believe your story foots the bill.

Anyway, if you ever get back stateside, you have an open invitation (meal included) to join me and my fellow Rotarians in Franklin County, MA. We'd love to hear your full story on this 'lucky cornflake adventure.'

MJ

PS Have you contacted Tony Tiger yet about possibly replacing your stolen cornflake?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Bubby!!!
We are both keeping daily checks on you. This has been quite an experience that you will remember forever!! Don't forget---call us if you need anything!!We love you and think of you daily.
Bill & Pame

John Downing said...

Hi Bob:

I'm really sorry about your loss. I live in Ottawa and found your story on the Amherst Daily news website. I grew up in Amherst many, many years ago. I return every summer to spend time at my cottage on the ocean a few miles from town.

I'd like to say the Cumberland County is immune to crime, but like everywhere else in this great country, there are always a few weeds that need to be yanked out and slapped around!

If it's any condolence, the moron who took your bike will probably end up getting caught. Amherst is a very small town.

Good luck on your journey. I hope you discover, as I have, that Nova Scotia is very special place. There are so many fantastic sites and places it's hard to even begin listing them.

If you head east on the sunrise trail be sure to stop at the "Hidden Jewel" cafe in Pugwash, and don't miss seeing the good ship "Hector" in Pictou. At least a few of the people you met in Amherst can trace their roots to "Canada's mayflower"!

Anonymous said...

Atta Boy!
Keep up the positive attitude and take the steps to help yourself and the rest will fall into place, trust me... you've got it in you to win this one! - just have to believe in it.

GPS

Anonymous said...

i will spread the word on the bike fund. it is easy for us harmonians to get to burrows. i feel this adventure, that i never once felt was a negative thing, is just going to get bigger and bigger.i told my daughter about my alice's restaraunt parody i put on your blog, she now says lets do it on Harmony Lot. Her husband, is famous in So Vermont for his ability to sing all the words without a cheat sheet. Good Luck, hang in there, and just go for it!!
deanna

Anonymous said...

Hello

I've been following your story since I first heard about it on Monday, and just found your blog.

I am very ashamed and embarrassed this happened to you in my town and though I can only speak for myself, I'm sure I echo the sentiments of most everyone here (save the thief, perhaps) when I say "I'm so sorry.".

I wish you the best in your continued travels, and for the time you're still with us, please feel free to call on us for anything you may need (including the use of my shop if you need to work on your new bike when it arrives). If we don't have it, I'll do my best to find it for you.

Even if you just feel like a home cooked meal while you're in town, drop me an email and we'll make it happen.

Very best regards,

Greg
(ghamilto@hotmail.com)

Anonymous said...

Hey Bob when you get back on two wheels I highly recommend Prince Edward Island. Nice and flat on the coast, ABSOLUTELY drop dead gorgeous, with a bike trail and lots of dirt and black-topped roads to beautiful places. I settled in at cheap hostel in Kings County. Can give you the name and contact info for an acquaintance who is a local historian , Waldron Leard.
No need to respond.

Anonymous said...

Uncle Bobby (as Owen has taken to calling you),

We are so glad to hear that the Canadians are treating you well. This robbery could turn out to be the best thing that has ever happened to you!

Keep on biking! Sending you lots of good wishes,
Sharri and Owen

~Bob Viens said...

John D,

Thanks for the tips, I wrote them down and will find them on the map that I'm getting today in preparation for the trip!

Cheers!

~B

Anonymous said...

So what's this? The pink bicycles are only for the nieces? What am I... chopped liver?
Signed, Lecram Sneiv